Sonntag, 23. September 2012

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute.


- G.B. Stern


To learn more about the Gemini Foundation, I decided to visit one of their offices“, Mr Tunaik said. „They have them all over the world. I narrowed my choice down to two places: their main headquarters in New York and their office in Edinburgh.“
What's special about the office in Edinburgh?“, I asked.
That's where they originated from“, Mr Tuniak replied. „It is in the building their founder lived in and...“ He looked at me and smiled. „I can see in your face that you would like to visit it.“

We travelled to Scotland. The house I had wanted to see was situated outside the city of Edinburgh. It was an old manor, which had originally been surrounded by fields, owned by the landlord. The fields had been neglected and nowadays a forest replaced them. In front of the manor was a parking space with a fountain. Several cars parked there. Mr Tuniak „parked“ the time machine in one of the free spaces. As I saw him doing this, I realised that the people in the building must know that he was a time traveller. Otherwise he would have never let the time machine appear right in front of so many windows.
Above the door of the main entrance there was a round shield with the symbol of the Gemini Foundation painted on it: a modified Yin-Yang-symbol, which featured the faces of a woman and a man, one dark, the other light.
The door was not locked. „Everyone is welcome here“, Mr Tuniak said laughingly, as I asked him about that. „And those few who are not, they won't get over the fence anyway.“
Inside the manor chaos seemed to reign. People were running up and down. Some of them greeted Mr Tuniak in passing, others were so lost in their thoughts or their work, that they completely ignored everything around them. There were similarities to the goings on in Lagua's Dwelling, but the city of scientist would appear more quiet and ordered compared to this manor.
We found a room that was not occupied at the moment. „The Room of Masks“, Mr Tuniak said as we entered. „Until a few years ago, this was the room were all the visitors were greeted. Now, they are led into the library.“
I didn't have to ask, why this place was called the Room of Masks. On every available surface a mask was hanging. They appeared to have come from all over the world and from every culture. It was impossible to be in this room and not have the feeling of being watched and I have to admit that it was not an agreeable feeling. There were a few masks which obviously been fashioned for warriors and I only reluctantly turned my back to them.
They don't want their visitors to feel at ease, do they?“, I asked.
No, they just want everyone to know that Gemini has been everywhere“, Mr Tuniak said. „But I know what you mean.“
We sat down on the sofas in front of the window.
I know that you are not a member of Gemini“, I said. „But they still allow you to enter and use their rooms?“
I knew the founder, so I have got some leeway here“, Mr Tuniak said. „But I will tell you about her another time. When I first came here, in the 1990ies, there were two desks in this room, one there and the other over there...“

Alexander entered the Room of Masks, accompanied by Sean Patrick, who had greeted him at the entrance and led him here. A woman, whom Sean introduced as his wife and Gemini partner Dilara, was sitting at one of the desks greeted him. Several books were lying in front of her and she was comparing the information offered in each of them.
Sean and Alexander sat down at the other desk.
Am I right in saying that Raben Consulting has sent you to... assess our work?“, Sean asked.
More or less“, Alexander answered. „I'm not officially working for Raben Consulting, but I know its founder and he is an old friend of mine. He wanted to know more about your foundation before he agreed to... well, to join forces on some projects.“
I completely understand that“, Sean said. „So, what do you want to know about Gemini?“
Everything“, Alexander said. „But let's start with your... principles.“
Well, Gemini wants to collect the whole of human knowledge, no matter where or when it originated“, Sean said. „We want to make sure that something like the Dark Ages – a time, when most of the knowledge of the Ancient World was lost – can not happen again.“
The Dark Ages happened mainly in Europe“, Alexander interjected.
Sean's eyes seemed to be glow. „Good“, he said appreciatively. „You are of course right. And the fact that you immediately and without hesitation corrected me brings us to one of the principles of Gemini: We are always sending teams of two. Two people. It doesn't matter if these two have never seen each other before or, as is the case with my wife and me, they are married. The only condition is that they must be willing to contradict each other. And they have to.“
I don't understand...“
I will give you an example: Take a look at the mask on the left side of the window, the third one from the bottom.“
The one that's baring its teeth?“
Precisely“, Sean said. „My wife and I found it. When I saw it for the first time I immediately thought that it must have been fashioned for a warrior to intimidate his enemies.“
Because of the teeth?“
Because of the teeth. But because I said that it was the mask of a warrior, Dilara had to disagree with me. She tried to find other possible uses for such a mask. She claimed that the mask was used by shamans to scare away ghosts and demons during their rituals.“
Who was right?“
In that case, I was. It was the mask of a warrior, we found proof for that later“, Sean said. „But that's beside the point. The point is that we here at Gemini are not allowed to take things at face value. First impressions can often be wrong. That's why it is so important that the partners are able to disagree with each other. Am I not right, honey?“
No, you are not“, Dilara answered automatically, without even looking up from her books.
Quod erat demonstrandum“, Sean laughed and turned back to Alexander. „You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to marry her.“
Because you couldn't even agree in front of the altar?“, Alexander asked with a smile. „But if you are always disagreeing then how do you manage to reach any conclusion? To get anything done?“
No, no, the partners are only disagreeing with each other, as long as that makes sense“, Sean corrected him. „Once we were in... I think it was in Egypt. We had found an old armoury, thousands of years old. But still the weapons were in very good condition. On some of the shields we found the paintings of a cat. I thought that the soldiers were worshipping a goddess whose symbol was a cat and that they had blessed their shields with it. It was a sound theory, but Dilara disagreed of course. A few days later we found a papyrus, which turned out to be an account of the battle that had been fought there. It also explained the cat drawings. It wasn't the soldiers who were worshipping a cat goddess, but their enemies. They, the enemies, were not allowed to touch anything that looked like a cat.“
Which means that during the battles they could not hit at the shields“, Alexander said.
Exactly“, Sean agreed. „It would have been stupid of me to insist on my theory after that discovery. That's why it is so important that Gemini partners can have opposing views, without it degenerating into a petty... quarrel. Sometimes I will be right, sometimes my partner will be. It's got nothing to do with you personally, it's just a way to assure that everything we know and collect has been checked and double-checked and that we didn't rely just on hear-say.“

I liked Gemini from the first moment I had been properly introduced to its ideas and I asked Sean if I could accompany him and his wife on their next journey“, Mr Tuniak remembered. „He was hesitant at first, because usually they don't take, as he called it, tourists on their trips. And their next assignment was to take pictures of the Nazca lines in Peru.“
These are the big drawings in the desert that can only be seen from above, aren't they?“, I asked.
No, you can see them very well if you are standing on one of the nearby hills“, Mr Tuniak corrected me. „That's how they were be looked at originally. But we planned to charter a plane and fly over them, because that way we would get better photos. And when I told Sean that I had worked as a photographer in my youth, he was willing to let me come with them.“
Why did Gemini want to take pictures of these drawings?“, I asked.
Because they are exposed to wind and weather and no one is exactly sure how long they will still exist“, Mr Tuniak said.
I thought they were already several hundred years old?“
Over a thousand years, even“, Mr Tuniak said. „And it is very probable that you will be able to see them for a very long time still. But it's the job of Gemini to play it safe and not rely on hopes and wishes.“

Is the cat coming with us?“, Alexander asked, after they had climbed into the little airplane. Dilara, Sean and the pilot, Diego, had entered before him. He had wanted to close the door behind him, when the grey feline creature had jumped aboard.
Chasca? Si, yes, she is coming with us“, Diego said, while checking his instruments. „Haven't you seen her picture on the wings?“
I thought she was just the mascot of your company“, Alexander said.
She is“, Diego replied. „Everyone in their seat?“
The propellers started to turn and the air plane began to move. It didn't take them long to get airborne and after another fifteen minutes they had reached their destination. To be able to shoot the best possible pictures, they had agreed before taking off that they would be allowed to open the side door of the plane. To avoid any unnecessary risks they also each wore a backpack with a parachute in it. Just in case.
They opened the door and started shooting.
They had finished with the fourth of the big figures in the desert, when the cat suddenly became curious. She made her way between the legs of the humans to the door and looked out. Alexander, worried that she would fall out, managed to get her back to the cockpit.
She is probably hoping one of these drawings is a mouse“, Dilara laughed.
Chasca was watching Alexander very carefully. When he went back to his camera and didn't pay her any more attention, she ran straight at the open door, dodged his hands (he wanted to stop her) and jumped out of the plane.
No!“, Alexander cried and, without thinking, jumped after her.

You did what?“, I asked incredulously.
Something stupid“, Mr Tuniak admitted. „I saw the cat jumping out of the plane and without hesitating, I followed her because I wanted to safe her. Of course, I had never learned how to properly use a parachute. Once I was outside, I immediately lost sight of the cat.“
But you did know how to open your parachute“, I said.
Yes“, Mr Tuniak said. „But that didn't change the stupidity of my actions. We were actually flying a bit too low for a parachute to be of proper use. I was still falling too fast, when I hit the ground.“
And you broke both your legs“, I said, remembering something he had told me several months ago.
Yes“, he said again. „So, in a way, I got lucky. It could have ended much worse. And while I was lying in the desert, waiting for rescue, I wasn't alone.“

Alexander was lying on the hot sand of the desert. He didn't feel any pain at this moment. He couldn't move his legs and he suspected that both of them were broken, but for now at least, he didn't feel a thing. Not far from where he had hit the ground, he could see several big stones and boulders. Lying on his belly, he slowly robbed towards them and their shadow, where it would be a little cooler. He cursed himself silently for his dangerous action. Why did he jump out of the plane? Just because of the cat?
As he was thinking about that, he suddenly heard a meow above his head. Chasca, the cat who had jumped out of the plane, was sitting on a boulder and looked down on him. She regarded him for a moment, then jumped down and sat down next to him. He stroked her fur and she began to purr.
Alexander could not explain how the animal had survived its jump. Only later would he be told by Diego that cats were basically their own parachute. If they fell down from a sufficient hight, their bodies offered so much resistance to the air that they never reached a dangerous velocity. Chasca, Diego would continue, seemed to actually love the feeling of falling and had done the jump out of the air plane for several times already.
But all of this, Alexander didn't know at the moment. For now, he was just happy, that he wouldn't have to wait alone.



NEXT WEEK
L'ennui est la grande maladie de la vie.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen